Book Review: The Boneless Mercies by April Genevieve Tucholke


The Boneless Mercies by April Genevieve Tucholke 
Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥  
Published: October 4th 2018 by Simon & Schuster Children's UK
Synopsis:
A dark standalone YA fantasy about a band of mercenary girls in search of female glory.

Frey, Ovie, Juniper, and Runa are the Boneless Mercies—girls hired to kill quickly, quietly, and mercifully. But Frey is weary of the death trade and, having been raised on the heroic sagas of her people, dreams of a bigger life.

When she hears of an unstoppable monster ravaging a nearby town, Frey decides this is the Mercies' one chance out. The fame and fortune of bringing down such a beast would ensure a new future for all the Mercies. In fact, her actions may change the story arc of women everywhere.
The Boneless Mercies de April Genevieve Tucholke 
Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥  
Publicación: 4 de Octubre de 2018 por Simon & Schuster Children's UK
Sinopsis:
Una fantasía oscura sobre una banda de chicas mercenarias en busca de la gloria femenina.

Frey, Ovie, Juniper y Runa son las Boneless Mercies: chicas contratadas para matar de forma rápida, silenciosa y misericordiosa. Pero Frey está cansada de la muerte y, al crecer con las heroicas sagas de su pueblo, sueña con una vida más grande.

Cuando oye hablar de un monstruo imparable que asola una ciudad cercana, Frey decide que esta es la única oportunidad de cambiar. La fama y la fortuna de derrotar a una bestia así garantizaría un nuevo futuro para todas ellas. De hecho, sus acciones podrían cambiar la historia de las mujeres en todas partes.





My Thoughts

A gender-switch retelling of the Old English epic poem, Beowulf, The Boneless Mercies is an unusual epic YA fantasy about four fierce girls on a journey seeking glory through a precarious and cold world where magic, mythical creatures, gods and legends. I really like it when I start a book without knowing what it is, I like to be surprised and it was this time. I liked that the synopsis says nothing, so I didn’t know that it was a Nordic retelling and, curiously, I felt, immediately, that I was watching an episode of Vikings.

Although it was a bloody and dark story, it is, in essence, a story of friendship, of brotherhood, of the deep relationship that is formed when women come together in dangerous circumstances. Romance is mostly non-existent, there are only a few hints and they couldn’t be called romance properly, since they’re more sexual. And I like that a lot, because it’s refreshing to have a book that isn’t eclipsed by romance, and I also like that it has a positive side regarding sex, since men and women were able to own their sexuality and feel good with her.

Mi Opinión

Un retelling del poema épico, Beowulf, The Boneless Mercies es una fantasía épica inusual sobre cuatro chicas feroces en un viaje buscando la gloria a través de un mundo precario y frío donde convergen la magia, criaturas míticas, dioses y leyendas. Realmente me gusta cuando comienzo un libro sin saber de qué se trata, me gusta sorprenderme y así fue esta vez. Me gusta que la sinopsis no diga nada, así que no sabía que se trataba de un retelling nórdico y, curiosamente, sentí de inmediato, que estaba viendo un episodio de Vikingos. 

Aunque fue una historia sangrienta y oscura, es, en esencia, una historia de amistad, de hermandad, de la relación profunda que se forma cuando las mujeres se unen en circunstancias peligrosas. El romance es en su mayoría inexistente, solo hay algunos flechazos y no podrían llamarse romance correctamente, ya que son más sexuales. Y eso me gusta mucho, porque es refrescante tener un libro que no esté eclipsado por el romance, y también me gusta que tenga un lado positivo con respecto al sexo, ya que los hombres y las mujeres pueden ser dueños de su sexualidad y sentirse bien con ella.


Juniper said the gods like to humble people who dream big dreams. But the gods had never done much for me, and I wasn't afraid of them. 
― April Genevieve Tucholke, The Boneless Mercies


If there is something I love about this book, it’s the writing style. This is the first April Genevieve Tucholke book that I read and I love the way she described each of its aspects. It transports you to this magical realm with many details, but it also felt that there’s much more to discover (although, I understand that this is a standalone).

However, if there’s something I don’t like about this book, it’s that sometimes the rhythm felt slow, which made me struggle to continue reading, and it was only because I was very interested in knowing how it was going to end for the girls that I followed reading. I liked how the characters developed and how much the girls grew while traveling, but I wish I had more POVs, because I felt that the sad and resigned vision of Frey's world dragged me into the same depressing mood leaving me exhausted. In addition, the plot was not entirely exciting with the book ending before reaching a suitable climax.
Si hay algo que me encanta de este libro es el estilo de escritura. Este es el primer libro Tucholke que leo y me encanta la forma en que describió cada uno de sus aspectos. Te transporta a este reino mágico con muchos detalles, pero también se siente que hay mucho más por descubrir (aunque, entiendo que esto es tomo único).

Sin embargo, si hay algo que no me gusta de este libro es que a veces el ritmo se sentía lento, lo que me hizo luchar para seguir leyendo, y fue solo porque estaba muy interesada en saber cómo iba a terminar que seguí. Me gustó como se desarrollaron los personajes y cuánto crecieron las chicas mientras viajaban, pero me gustaría haber tenido más POVs, pues sentí que la visión triste y resignada del mundo de Frey me arrastraba al mismo estado de ánimo deprimente dejándome exhausta. Además, la trama no fue del todo excitante con el libro terminando antes de alcanzar un clímax adecuado.


Once upon a time, in the final days before Salt and Marsh Witch War, four Boneless Mercies turned their backs on the death trade, and went west, seeking immortality. 
― April Genevieve Tucholke, The Boneless Mercies


Overall, I think this is a great book for certain types of people, which means that if you like heavy books and don't care about sadness, this could be for you. As for the end, I like that it was left open in some way, because if the author wanted to, she could continue writing more of this world. I like the representation of strong and independent women who presented themselves here and how they are so different from each other, but they fit perfectly as a united family, but, as the main character led the plot, he could not deliver the dynamics necessary to make it perfect.
En general, creo que este es un gran libro para cierto tipo de personas, lo que significa que si te gustan los libros pesados y no te importa la tristeza, esto podría ser para ti. En cuanto al final, me gusta que se haya dejado abierto de alguna manera, porque si la autora quisiera, podría seguir escribiendo más de este mundo. Me gustan la representación de mujeres fuertes e independientes que se presentó aquí y cómo son tan diferentes entre sí, pero encajan perfectamente como una familia unida, pero, como el personaje principal llevó la trama, no pudo entregar la dinámica necesaria para hacerlo perfecto.

Post a Comment

0 Comments

“One must always be careful of books," said Tessa, "and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”

— Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel.