Book Review: A Heart So Fierce and Broken by Brigid Kemmerer

A Heart So Fierce and Broken by Brigid Kemmerer

A Heart So Fierce and Broken
(Cursebreakers #2)
by Brigid Kemmerer
Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ 
Published: January 7th 2020 by Bloomsbury YA
Synopsis:
Find the heir, win the crown.

The curse is finally broken, but Prince Rhen of Emberfall faces darker troubles still. Rumors circulate that he is not the true heir and that forbidden magic has been unleashed in Emberfall. Although Rhen has Harper by his side, his guardsman Grey is missing, leaving more questions than answers.

Win the crown, save the kingdom.

Rumored to be the heir, Grey has been on the run since he destroyed Lilith. He has no desire to challenge Rhen--until Karis Luran once again threatens to take Emberfall by force. Her own daughter Lia Mara sees the flaws in her mother’s violent plan, but can she convince Grey to stand against Rhen, even for the good of Emberfall?

The heart-pounding, compulsively readable saga continues as loyalties are tested and new love blooms in a kingdom on the brink of war.

In the sequel to New York Times bestselling A Curse So Dark and Lonely, Brigid Kemmerer returns to the world of Emberfall in a lush fantasy where friends become foes and love blooms in the darkest of places.
A Heart So Fierce and Broken
(Cursebreakers #2)
de Brigid Kemmerer
Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ 
Publicación: 7 de Enero 2020 por Bloomsbury YA
Sinopsis:
Encuentra al heredero, gana la corona.

La maldición está rota, pero el Príncipe Rhen de Emberfall aún enfrenta problemas más oscuros. Se rumorea de que él no es el verdadero heredero y que la magia se ha desatado en Emberfall. Aunque Rhen tiene a Harper, su guardia Gray desapareció, dejando más preguntas que respuestas.

Gana la corona, salva el reino.

Sospechando que es el heredero, Gray ha huido desde que destruyó a Lilith. No tiene ningún deseo de desafiar a Rhen, hasta que Karis Luran una vez más amenaza con tomar Emberfall por la fuerza. Su propia hija, Lia Mara, ve las fallas en el violento plan de su madre, pero ¿puede convencer a Gray de enfrentarse a Rhen, incluso por el bien de Emberfall?

La palpitante saga continúa mientras se prueban las lealtades y florece un nuevo amor en un reino al borde de la guerra.

En la secuela del éxito de ventas del New York Times, A Curse So Dark and Lonely, Brigid Kemmerer regresa al mundo de Emberfall en una exuberante fantasía donde los amigos se convierten en enemigos y el amor florece en los lugares más oscuros.




My Thoughts

Last year, the first book in this Cursebrakers series, A Curse so Dark and Lonely, introduced me to the genre YA Fantasy. Yes, I have read fantasy before but I never liked it very much, but Brigid Kemmerer made me give it a new opportunity. I have the mission to read more of this genre in 2020 and, of course, A Heart so Fierce and Broken is to be one of those.

In this book we have Gray’s and Lia Mara’s POVs, the first who deals with the consequences of the revelation at the end of the previous book and the second who helps her family, enemies of the Emberfall Kingdom, to win an alliance with Rhen; both become unlikely allies in a world on the brink of war. I am pleased to say that I enjoyed it, but at the same time, it lacked a bit to meet my expectations and I felt it more like a transitional book.

Mi Opinión

El año pasado, el primer libro de esta serie de Cursebrakers, A Curse so Dark and Lonely, me introdujó al género YA Fantasy. Sí, he leído fantasía antes pero nunca me gustó mucho, pero Brigid Kemmerer me hizo darle una nueva oportunidad. Tengo la misión de leer más de este género en 2020 y, por supuesto, A Heart so Fierce and Broken es de ser uno de esos.

En este libro tenemos las perspectivas de Grey y Lia Mara, el primero que lidia con las consecuencias de la revelación al final del libro anterior y la segunda que ayuda a su familia, enemigos del Reino Emberfall, a ganar una alianza con Rhen, ambos que se convierten en aliados poco probables en un mundo al borde de la guerra. Me complace decir que lo disfrute, pero al mismo tiempo, le faltó un poco para cumplir con mis expectativas y le sentí más como un libro de transición.


Ah yes, the most dangerous person at the party is always the girl sitting alone with a book. 
― Brigid Kemmerer, A Heart So Fierce and Broken


I like it was an easy and fast book to read, before I knew it I had already finished it but at the same time I feel like the beautiful and whimsical writing style that made me fell in love with the previous book was gone. I was so impressed by the words that created ACSDAL and salivated over the most beautiful quotes, when never before I care much about keeping track of quotes and such. AHSFAB felt to me like as if a different author take the ink and write this book with it, because it’s nothing like the one I read last year.

However, If there’s something that I like it’s the development of the main characters. I think that the author made the best decisions regarding the two of them and present us with the strong, amazing characters this story needed in order to move forward, otherwise, all the other elements, that are practically useless, would have ruined it completely. Grey and Lia Mara had lot of chemistry and complemented each other so well, and I’m very pleased about how all turned out for them. And I’ll stop here because I don’t think the secondary characters, especially Harper and Rhen, deserve that I talk about them.
Me gusta que fuera un libro fácil y rápido de leer, antes de darme cuenta ya lo había terminado, pero al mismo tiempo siento que el hermoso y fantasioso estilo de escritura que me enamoró del libro anterior se había ido. Me impresionaron tanto las palabras que crearon ACSDAL, salivando por las citas más bellas, cuando nunca antes me habría importado mucho hacer un seguimiento de las citas y demás. AHSFAB me pareció como si un autor totalmente diferente tomara la tinta y escribiera el libro con ella porque no se parece en nada al que leí el año pasado.

Sin embargo, si hay algo que me gusta mucho es el desarrollo de los personajes principales. Creo que la autora tomó las mejores decisiones con respecto a los dos y nos presentó a los personajes fuertes y sorprendentes que esta historia necesitaba para avanzar, de lo contrario, todos los demás elementos, que son prácticamente inútiles, lo habrían arruinado por completo. Gray y Lia Mara tenían mucha química y se complementaban muy bien, y estoy muy contenta de cómo resulto todo para ellos. Y me detendré aquí porque no creo que los personajes secundarios, especialmente Harper y Rhen, merezcan hablar de ellos.


Choices are never easy. There are good and bad options, but the most dangerous is to not make any choice at all. 
― Brigid Kemmerer, A Heart So Fierce and Broken


Overall, I have to admit that I feel a little disappointed by this book, I expected much more action, plot development and the same gothic but fantastic world that I loved from the previous book. I am sure that I will read the next installment because I invested enough time in this world to leave before I can have a proper closure. But I wonder if Gray and Rhen haven't had enough suffering, I mean, after a rather horrible curse they now face a bigger and hurtful battle, I'm very afraid to see which one will win and at what cost.
En general, tengo que admitir que me siento un poco decepcionado por este libro, esperaba mucha más acción, desarrollo de la trama y el mismo mundo gótico pero fantástico que amé del libro anterior. Estoy segura que leeré la próxima entrega porque invertí suficiente tiempo en este mundo para irme antes de poder tener un cierre adecuado. Pero me pregunto si Gray y Rhen no han tenido suficiente sufrimiento, quiero decir, después de una maldición bastante horrible ahora se enfrentan a una batalla más grande e hiriente, y tengo mucho miedo de ver cuál va a ganar y a qué costo.

Post a Comment

0 Comments

“One must always be careful of books," said Tessa, "and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”

— Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel.