Review: A Curse So Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer

A Curse So Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer

A Curse So Dark and Lonely
by Brigid Kemmerer
Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Published on January 29, 2019 by Bloomsbury
--------- A Curse So Dark and Lonely
por Brigid Kemmerer
Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Publicado el 29 de enero, 2019 por
Bloomsbury
Synopsis from Goodreads:

An instant New York Times Best Seller! In a lush, contemporary fantasy retelling of Beauty and the Beast, Brigid Kemmerer gives readers another compulsively readable romance perfect for fans of Marissa Meyer.

Fall in love, break the curse.

It once seemed so easy to Prince Rhen, the heir to Emberfall. Cursed by a powerful enchantress to repeat the autumn of his eighteenth year over and over, he knew he could be saved if a girl fell for him. But that was before he learned that at the end of each autumn, he would turn into a vicious beast hell-bent on destruction. That was before he destroyed his castle, his family, and every last shred of hope.

Nothing has ever been easy for Harper Lacy. With her father long gone, her mother dying, and her brother barely holding their family together while constantly underestimating her because of her cerebral palsy, she learned to be tough enough to survive. But when she tries to save someone else on the streets of Washington, DC, she's instead somehow sucked into Rhen's cursed world.

Break the curse, save the kingdom.

A prince? A monster? A curse? Harper doesn't know where she is or what to believe. But as she spends time with Rhen in this enchanted land, she begins to understand what's at stake. And as Rhen realizes Harper is not just another girl to charm, his hope comes flooding back. But powerful forces are standing against Emberfall . . . and it will take more than a broken curse to save Harper, Rhen, and his people from utter ruin.




--------- Sinopsis traducida por mi:


¡Un New York Times Best Seller al instante! En una exuberante fantasía contemporanea, readaptación de La Bella y La Bestia, Brigid Kemmerer ofrece a sus lectores otro romance de lectura compulsiva, perfecto para los fanáticos de Marissa Meyer.

Enamórate, rompe la maldición.

Alguna vez todo parecía fácil para el príncipe Rhen, el heredero de Emberfall. Maldecido por una poderosa hechicera para repetir el otoño de su decimoctavo cumpleaños una y otra vez, él sabía que podía salvarse si una chica se enamoraba de él. Pero eso fue antes de que supiera que al final de cada otoño, se convertiría en una bestia viciosa empeñada en la destrucción. Eso fue antes de que destruyera su castillo, su familia y hasta el último fragmento de esperanza.

Nada ha sido fácil para Harper Lacy. Con su padre desaparecido, su madre muriendo y su hermano apenas manteniendo a su familia unida mientras constantemente la subestima debido a su parálisis cerebral, ella aprendió a ser lo suficientemente fuerte como para sobrevivir. Pero cuando intenta salvar a alguien más en las calles de Washington, DC, de alguna manera es absorbida al mundo maldito de Rhen.

Rompe la maldición, salva el reino.

¿Un príncipe? ¿Un monstruo? ¿Una maldición? Harper no sabe dónde está ni qué creer. Pero a medida que pasa tiempo con Rhen en esta tierra encantada, comienza a comprender lo que está en juego. Y cuando Rhen se da cuenta de que Harper no es solo otra chica para enamorar, su esperanza vuelve a aparecer. Pero fuerzas oscuras están contra de Emberfall. . . y se necesitará más que romper la maldición para salvar a Harper, Rhen y su gente de la ruina total.




My Thoughts

---------

Mi Opinión

I made the decision that, during this month of March (2019), I'll try to read books and authors that normally I wouldn't read. Last year became the worst in terms of reading new-to-me authors and books, so I think it's necessary to go out my comfort zone and expand my reading horizons. Whilst checking Instagram I found this fantasy book inspired by Beauty and the Beast with hundreds of recommendations and good reviews in Goodreads so I decided I should try it out.

I was feeling a little nervous, not only because it was the first fantasy I would read in a long time, but also because some said that, if I liked A Court of Thorn and Roses, I would like this one too, and well, I didn't like ACOTAR. But, oh boy, this was an amazing read. I didn't expect the rich and layering world I would found or the complex and likable characters.




---------
Tomé la decisión de que, durante este mes de marzo (2019), intentaré leer libros que normalmente no leería. El año pasado se convirtió en el peor en cuanto a leer autores y libros nuevos para mí, por lo que creo que es necesario salir de mi zona de confort y ampliar mis horizontes literarios. Mientras revisaba Instagram, encontré este libro de fantasía inspirado en La Bella y La Bestia con cientos de recomendaciones y buenas críticas en Goodreads, que decidí probar.

Me sentía un poco nerviosa de leerlo, no solo porque era el primer libro de fantasía en mucho tiempo, sino también porque algunos decían que, si me gustó A Court of Thorn and Roses, también me gustaría este, y bueno, No me encanta ACOTAR. Pero, ¡oh Dioses!, esta fue una lectura increíble. No esperaba el mundo tan rico y diverso que encontraría o los personajes complejos y agradables.


“I am always surprised to discover that when the world seems darkest, there exists the greatest opportunity for light.” 
― Brigid Kemmerer, A Curse So Dark and Lonely


I was hooked from the very first page, literal, the short chapters help to make the reading fluid and light the writing style, said style I found beautiful. I'm not the type of bookworm to notice quotes, I always go to Goodreads get to some for my reviews, but with this book, I found myself absorving each word like I was thirsty for knowlagde. But it's also VERY fast to read with its 500 pages, and before I knew it, I was almost finishing the book.

One of the things I liked the most were the characters, excellent developming. I LOVE Harper from the start; she's drag to this world by mistake but she owned it, she suffers of cerebral palsy but she doesn't let her limitations stop her to be who she wants to be. independant, strong or even, be kind and considerate when the situation demands it. Rhen is the tortured soul kind of heroe I don't enjoy much but that worked for me in this case.


---------
Me quedé enganchado desde la primera página, literalmente, los capítulos cortos ayudan a que la lectura sea fluida y aligeran el estilo de escritura, dicho estilo me pareció hermoso. No soy el tipo de bookworm que toma nota de las citas, siempre voy a Goodreads para obtener algunas de mis reseñas, pero con este libro, me encontré absorbiendo cada palabra como si tuviera sed de saber. Pero también es MUY rápido de leer con sus casi 500 páginas, y antes de darme cuenta, estaba terminando el libro.

Una de las cosas que más me gustaron fueron los personajes, excelente desarrollo de los mismos. AMO a Harper desde el principio; Ella fue arrastrada a este mundo por error, pero se adueña de el completamente, padece de parálisis cerebral, pero no deja que sus limitaciones la detengan para ser quien quiere ser, independiente, fuerte e incluso ser amable y considerada cuando la situación lo exige. Rhen es el tipo de héroe torturado que no disfruto mucho, pero que funcionó, para mi, en esta ocasión.



“We are all dealt a hand at birth. A good hand can ultimately lose - just as a poor hand can win - but we must all play the cards the fate deals. The choices we face may not be the choices we want, but they are choices nonetheless.” 
― Brigid Kemmerer, A Curse So Dark and Lonely


All in all, I like this book soooo much, especially the things that make it different. This book reminds me the 2014's La Belle et La Bête more than the Disney version of this fairytale, but just as that movie, this is a masterpiece that deserves all the prizes! I can't wait for the next book to come out because I just want to devoure it already.

---------
En general, me gusta mucho este libro, especialmente las cosas que lo hacen diferente. Este libro me recuerda a La Belle et La Bête de 2014 más que a la versión de Disney de este cuento de hadas, pero al igual que esa película, ¡este es una obra maestra que merece todos los premios! No puedo esperar a que salga el próximo libro porque ya quiero devorarlo.

Post a Comment

0 Comments

“One must always be careful of books," said Tessa, "and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”

— Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel.